Fire and explosions are a major threat in hydrocarbon production facilities to life and asset integrity. For any explosion to occur there must be an associated ignition source present during a flammable atmosphere release.
Many a times Electrical and Instrumentation equipment provide the most common source of ignition. Electrical installations in hazardous areas need to possess features specially designed to render them suitable for operations in hazardous atmosphere. It is essential for reasons of safety in those areas that, throughout the life of such installations, the integrity of those special features is correctly installed and maintained in the Hazardous atmosphere
The International Electrical Commission standard IEC 60079 provides guidance on correct installation and maintenance of the electrical and instrumentation equipments and recommends a 3-year interval between periodic independent inspections of such equipment to ensure safe operation within a hazardous environment.
OBJECTIVES OF Ex SURVEY (INSPECTION)
- To confirm the integrity and properties of Ex equipments in the Hazardous area
- To ensure the suitability of Ex equipments in the particular Hazardous location
- To meet Indian & international regulations and corporate safety guidelines
TYPES OF INSPECTION
Initial Inspection is necessary to check that the selected type of protection is appropriate for the hazardous area installation before commissioning.
Periodic Inspection is a routine inspection that applies to existing installations. It monitors the effects of deterioration or change. The intervals between periodic inspections should not exceed three years
LEVEL 1 Visual inspection identifies the defects that are apparent to the eye without access to the equipment (eg. Missing bolts, and unplugged cable entries).
LEVEL 2 Close Inspections include visual inspection criteria and additionally identify any defects, such as loose bolts, that are only apparent by using specialized access such as scaffolding or hand tools. Close inspections do not normally require the enclosure to be opened or the equipment to be de-energized.
LEVEL 3 Detailed Inspections include close inspection criteria and additionally identify any defects such as loose terminals, which are apparent only by opening the equipment and/or using tools and test equipment. Detailed inspections are performed upon completion of the installation when the equipment has been handed over by the installation contractor prior to it being put into service. Installations need to be de energized.
OUTCOME OF Ex SURVEY
- Indicates whether installation is fit for use
- Provides data on equipments categorized as:
- To be replaced
- To be refurbished
- Fit for usage after rectification
- Identifies Installation which requires detailed inspection
- Presentation of Hazardous area equipment defect register
- Up gradation of Ex Register
- Recommendations to maintain the integrity of Ex equipment
Hazardous area equipment defect register , a comprehensive list of all defects and non-compliances which are prioritized by criticality
Hazardous area equipment register records all relevant Ex equipment details like gas group, temp class, certification and area of installation
A Intrinsically safe digital cameras (Ex ia IIC T4 Gb, -20°C ≤Ta≤+60°C) will be used for visual records.
Our inspectors are IEC Ex certified professionals who have worked on offshore and onshore installations in various parts of the industries and have gained vast experience in different situations regarding Ex Inspection.
- We possess the uniqueness of having attained IEC Ex competency in both Hazardous area classification as well as inspection of Ex Equipments. We have the knowledge of area classification/Epl and sufficient technical knowledge to understand its implications for the location under consideration
Circles Safety services has proven themselves as a leader in the field of Ex Inspection & Hazardous area classification, providing a very high standard of independent inspection services for electrical and instrumentation equipment, as well as producing client specific, relevant end products to allow implementation of a precise and productive maintenance strategy.
Clientele list will be provided upon request